The Right Time For An Orthodontic Check Up?
No Later Than Age 7.
Even though most people think of pre-teens and teens when they think of Orthodontics, there are good reasons your child should get an Orthodontic evaluation much sooner. The American Association of Orthodontists recommends an orthodontic check-up no later than age 7.
Why Your Child Should Get An Orthodontic Check-up No Later Than Age 7:
- Orthodontists can spot subtle problems with jaw growth and emerging teeth while some baby teeth are still present.
- While your child’s teeth may appear to be straight, there could be a problem that only an orthodontist can detect.
- The check-up may reveal that your child’s bite is fine. Often, the orthodontist will identify a potential problem but recommend monitoring the child’s growth and development, and then, if indicated, begin treatment at the light time for the child. In other cases, the Orthodontist might find a problem that can benefit from early treatment.
- Early treatment may prevent more serious problems from developing and may make treatment at a later age shorter and less complicated.
- In some cases, the orthodontist will be able to achieve results that wouldn’t be possible once the face and jaws have finished growing.
- Early treatment may give your orthodontist the chance to:
- Guide jaw growth
- Lower the risk of trauma to protruded front teeth
- Correct harmful oral habits
- Improve appearance
- Guide permanent teeth into a more favorable position
- Improve the way lips meet
- Through early orthodontic screening, you’ll be giving your child the best opportunity for a healthy, beautiful smile that’s good for life.
Call 859-441-7900 to schedule an appointment for your child today.